Thursday, May 9, 2013

Name That Felony

I'm curious to know about the 7 jurors who found Jodi guilty both premeditated and felony murder. What did they consider as the felony? Please share any thoughts with me on twitter at @chrisbr40 where I started this discussion.

Let me start by saying that I'm happy with the verdict and I'm not trying to say that these jurors are wrong, I'm just not sure I could come to the same conclusion based on the jury instructions and curious to know what they felt was the felony. I expect we will hear from these 7 jurors someday soon and hopefully they will explain.

Until then I can't stop wondering about it and so I checked those jury instructions and read the section on felony murder that I have quoted below and taken from Final Jury Instructions posted by @WildAboutTrial at Wild About Trial website.

The only point that a juror would need to decide on, in my opinion, is whether or not Burglary in the Second Degree occurred on June 4, 2008 when she killed Travis and this, according to the jury instructions which requires two parts: the "remained unlawfully" in part 1 "and 2. Did so with the intent to commit any theft or felony therein."

I don't think that Jodi had any "intent" to steal, whether or not we believe that the gun she used was in Travis' home and that she took it. Jodi's theft of her grandparents gun would be a separate crime, as I understand it and not a part of the charges in this trial.

I would have a problem finding for felony murder because of that word "intent" in the second requirement and that both parts need to be satisfied. Maybe this was a problem for the 5 jurors who only found premeditation?

What do you think? Can you name that felony? @chrisbr40

The jury instructions read:

"CHARGED OFFENSE – FELONY MURDER

As stated earlier, Count 1 also charges defendant with First Degree Felony Murder. The crime of First Degree Felony Murder requires the state to prove the following two things:

1. The defendant committed or attempted to commit Burglary in the Second Degree; and

2. In the course of and in furtherance of committing Burglary in the Second Degree, or immediate flight from it, the defendant caused the death of any person.

An “attempt” requires the state to prove that the defendant intentionally did something which, under the circumstances she believed them to be, was a step in a course of conduct planned to culminate in the commission of the offense.

The crime of Burglary in the Second Degree requires proof that the defendant:

1. Entered or remained unlawfully in or on a residential structure; and

2. Did so with the intent to commit any theft or felony therein.

Residential structure means any structure, movable or immovable, permanent or temporary, that is adapted for both human residence and lodging whether occupied or not.

“Intentionally” or “with the intent to” means, with respect to a result or to conduct described by a statute defining an offense, that a person’s objective is to cause that result or to engage in that conduct. There are no lesser included offenses for First Degree Felony Murder.

In order to find defendant guilty of Count 1, it is not necessary that you be unanimous with respect to whether the Defendant is guilty of First Degree Premeditated Murder or First Degree Felony Murder. The only requirement is that you be unanimous that the Defendant is guilty of First Degree Murder, which can be either First Degree Premeditated Murder or First Degree Felony Murder. If you find the Defendant guilty of First Degree Murder, you must indicate on the verdict form how many of you have found the Defendant guilty of First Degree Premeditated Murder and/or First Degree Felony Murder. By way of example only, the jury can be unanimous as to both theories, or just one theory, or it may be divided."

15 comments:

  1. I think they based it on the fact that she stayed unlawfully with the intent to kill him, which is a felony, but I agree is a stretch. Either way, the right verdict was reached.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like the felony charge is all about burglary and I'm not sure she stole anything (since I don't think Travis had a gun and she used the previously stolen grandparent's gun) or that she intended to steal anything...but I'm all for the pre-med part and it's murder 1 anyway. thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this initial one didn't go through. :)

      Delete
  3. The state focused on 2nd degree Burglary accd'g to the jury instructions. Since she remained in the house either after it was necessary to protect/defend herself, or after she had stabbed him 10 or so times, then it applies.

    She REMAINED UNLAWFULLY (without permission) IN A RESIDENTIAL STRUCTURE, with the INTENT TO COMMIT A FELONY (attempted murder, murder)

    And if you believe her story, this was done as well when she stayed for the sole purpose of slitting his throat. (attempted murder, murder) Intent to commit murder also involves premeditation.

    This is why I believe some may have bought her story to a certain extent.

    The law, the way it is written can be applied to her situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good point! So now I'm unclear about the "any theft or felony therein" in the #2 for Burglary in the Second Degree .If it means a theft or any felony committed during a theft then I could agree but I think I would have asked the judge to clarify on this one.

      Delete
    2. I think it's the word "BURGLARY" that throws everyone off. It's called "2ND DEGREE BURGLARY" but in the instructions, unlawful entry isn't necessary, just REMAINING UNLAWFULLY. "Theft" isn't necessary either. As per the instructions, one can get to Felony Murder by remaining unlawfully so that one can commit a felony. I can conclude this by putting 1. and 2. together:

      1. REMAINED UNLAWFULLY (Juan attempted to show this happened when after the attack began, it can be assumed Travis didn't want her there anymore, thus she was there uninvited and therefore, remaining unlawfully) If there is any stretch, it is here, I believe, but not for me. :))

      2 [Remained there] WITH THE INTENT TO COMMIT A FELONY. (Stabbing and slitting someone's throat is a felony)

      So:

      Jodi REMAINED IN A RESIDENTIAL STRUCTURE UNLAWFULLY (since she was no longer invited) WITH THE INTENT TO COMMIT THE FELONIES of attempted murder/murder.

      To me, the jury instructions makes it easy to come to this conclusion... one just needs to ASSUME Travis wanted her to leave when he was being attacked.

      Delete
  4. Reading your edited post above:

    "I don't think that Jodi had any "intent" to steal, whether or not we believe that the gun she used was in Travis' home and that she took it. Jodi's theft of her grandparents gun would be a separate crime, as I understand it and not a part of the charges in this trial."

    Doesn't the second part of the description of Burglary 2nd read:

    2. Did so with the intent to commit any theft "OR" felony therein.

    If so, doesn't that indicate that THEFT IS NOT NECESSARY. It can be any theft "OR FELONY WITHIN".

    Why does "theft" continue then to be part of the argument? Please explain to me (maybe I'm dense) where it reads that theft or burglary HAS to be part of 2nd Degree Burglary.

    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is why I would be asking the judge at this point because I'm a little bit confused by that too.

      I feel like if "or felony therein" can be ANY felony then why is this called Burglary in the Second Degree? If the murder can be included as a "felony therein" wouldn't we be charging her twice for the same crime? That's why I think this Burglary charge is supposed to refer to theft or other crimes directly related to the theft.

      I don't know...if we were both jurors I'd tell you that we need to write a note to the judge at this point :)

      Delete
  5. Good points. I remain convinced that "remaining unlawfully" is the burglary part, only because it gives that exclusive option, but a question would've cleared that up entirely. Wonder why the 5 that didn't vote FM didn't ask about it. Guess they were convinced of premeditation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm OK with the "remaining unlawfully" part but it also says "and 2. Did so with the intent to commit any theft or felony therein." and both parts have to be true. I just don't think she intended any theft and if the "felony therein" is meant to cover any other kind of felony then it would be charging her twice for the same crime.

      I think we have probably beat this to death on twitter but thought I'd reply anyway :)

      Thanks for the comments!

      Delete
    2. "...and if the "felony therein" is meant to cover any other kind of felony then it would be charging her twice for the same crime."

      Actually the felony was "stabbing" according to Juan, and stabbing is not murder, it's assault.

      I'm convinced however that Juan charged FM for those jurors who may have believed her story. She stayed longer than she had to for self-defense, over assaulted (now a felony), and stole the gun.

      Delete
  6. Ok Here we go. She stole the gun to kill travis IF She couldn't change his mind about goin to Cancun. so she had sex with him. she wanted to have fun with his camera. THEN she asked if he would take her to Cancun HE SAID NO. She threw the camera down (not dropped)grabbed the knife, stabbed him He craweld to the bathroom where she shot him. She did all of this in a JEALOUS RAGE. She stole the gun in a different state. I'm sure they won't send her back to cali for the charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm OK with that theory but still unsure about the felony that those 7 jurors found. It might just be the stolen gun that Jodi claims was there or even the knife but I don't think she ever "intended" a burglary so I would have just stuck with premeditation.

      Have you heard the "Psycho" shower scene theory? There is a post here about it too.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
    2. The theft would have to be done in the residence the death occurred according to the jury instructions.

      Delete